A New Beginning

Saturday, January 2, 2010 § 1

My name is long, thus I go by Sophia—which according to a book is French. However, my cultural and ethnic roots take me to the middle of the Caribbean and all the way to the tip of South America.

I have loved literature and reading since I was a little girl. Reading is a way to get away from your own reality and enter someone else's. Poetry, which is the main focus of this blog, has become a recent obsession of mine. Writing poetry gives me a chance to express myself in ways that merely speaking could not. With poetry, nobody can tell me what to write or how to write it because style is invented by the author.

Writing a blog, however, gives the audience a chance to judge me not based on superficial matters but strictly on personality and the content of my writing. This blog will feature book and poem critiques, as well as poems written by me.

Just like a circus, this blog combines different literary styles, critiques, and unexpected ideas and trends.

On the side bar, you will find a list of the latest books I have read, and the book I am currently reading. I will update the list as I continue to read.

I would like to make you a part of my blog. If you love to read or write as much as I do, feel free to share your reading lists, critiques, and poems with me!

Follow me on Twitter or e-mail me at apoetscircus@gmail.com.

Make sure to continue to explore The Coffee Cup—a new way of blogging.

What's this?

You are currently reading A New Beginning at A Poet's Circus.

meta

§ 1 Response to “A New Beginning”

  • Hello Sophia, I just wanted to share that I really love the new project "The Coffee Cup" and the fact that it is an interesting combination of a blog and website at the same time, and that makes it quite unique in this era of social communications.

    I would like to include in this comment the following, since your name is so beautiful, that I wanted you to be absolutely sure of its etymology as follows:

    ETYMOLOGY: The name Sophia means "wisdom". It can also mean "love and the pursuit of wisdom. The spiritual definition refers to infinite heavenly wisdom.

    ORIGIN & HISTORY: The name Sophia is of Greek origin. Many believe the name is a derivative of the word, "sophisticated."

    POPULARITY: The name has been in the top 500 most popular names for several decades. In 2005 the name rose to number 11.

    FASCINATING FACTS:
    Those with the name Sophia are thought to be energetic and active.
    Numerology suggests that they love to travel and they are successful as public figures.
    An asteroid has been give the name Sophia.
    A town with the name Sophia is located in West Virginia.

    As you can read, all of the facts above are quite interesting about your name.

    I am totally thrilled and happy beyond measure to learn of your obsessive desire to literature, which I knew from before and from the fact that you are an avid reader; however, this liking to "Poetry", not only reading it but also writing your own poetry is something wonderful which I strongly encourage you to continue doing, as it will benefit you in fascinating ways!!!
    What a great book you are currently reading about Amelia Earhart and her life's courageous story.

    Dear Sophia, keep up the good work, and the reading!!!

    Alejandro Tornato