Just Like Me

Wednesday, January 6, 2010 § 2


Black describes me.
My moods, my personality.
Black is a color that everyone likes.
Black is subtle,
Not too flashy, not too boring.
Black is power, authority.
Black moves like air.
Close your eyes, it's everywhere.
Black is nonchalant.
Black's carefree.
Nothing phases this color.
Black's hard as steel.

Black is my best friend.
Because we're just alike,
Plain, basic, understated,
Unlike a red or orange or yellow.
We don't brighten up a room.
We bring a coolness
That can't be produced by another.

Stone-faced is our expression.
Relaxed is our mood,
Our state of mind.
We stand alone,
But we can mix
With all people, all colors

Lawan Mitchell, age 16


This is a poem from the book I am currently reading as you can see on the sidebar. I absolutely love it. The comparisons, the vocabulary, the descriptions are all so entertaining. It is fascinating how a color can say so much; how just a color can mean so much. Sometimes, I feel like I'm in a black mood and it is comforting to see that someone else out there understands exactly how I feel, and could describe my mood better than I possibly can. There are many more interesting poems in this book, but for now I hope you enjoy this one.

Signing off,
Sophia

What's this?

You are currently reading Just Like Me at A Poet's Circus.

meta

§ 2 Response to “Just Like Me”

  • hi soph.
    thanks for the comment.
    i tried to sent you a comment in your blog last week but it didn't thru. i'm glad u had fixed it.

    welcome to blogging and looking forward to more posts. love this post about "black"
    you're a good writer. keep it up.

    sure, would love to exchange links with you.
    i'm adding you now. all links are located on the very bottom of my page. see yah!

  • i've already added you and named you " a poet's circus". see you then!